Whitney takes top spot

Ellie Smith
Features Editor

When people think of a valedictorian, they might think of a student who spends all of their time studying. Though this year’s valedictorian Kate Whitney used both hard work and determination to get to the top of her class, and according to her friends, she is a normal teenager.

“She is very goal oriented. When she wants something, she puts her mind to it and reach her goals, like valedictorian for example. But she’s actually a normal person who likes to be social and have fun, it’s not just about school for her,” said senior Sam Sarkisian, friend of Whitney.

Whitney had an idea that she would be at the top of her class because of all of her hard work throughout her high school career. Her main motivation for staying high in the rankings was wanting options for college and  future careers.

“I was really motivated to have options for college and what I want to do after college,” said Whitney. “That was my main motivation.”

This year, Whitney had a packed schedule taking three AP classes including photography, calculus and physics and three honors classes including anatomy, English and economics. She also participated in ADC tutoring this year.

Out of all of her classes, Whitney has most enjoyed her science and math courses. Her favorite classes include AP biology, which she took during her junior year, chemistry and anatomy.

The teachers that had the greatest influence on her were her science and math teachers as they introduced her to a possible career in science.

“I think I’ve been really lucky to have the teachers that I’ve had over the course of my high school years,” said Whitney. “I think that the science department specifically has been really influential in motivating me in the sciences.”

Outside of school, Whitney participates in mock trial, student council and photography. This year, she won a Gold Key award for her photography portfolio.

For community service, Whitney has traveled to Lowell General Hospital to work in the gift shop for three hours every Saturday since her sophomore year.

Senior Rishabh Kodia, friend of Whitney, met her early this year and has gotten to see her juggle school, extracurriculars and a social life.

“I admire her effort in everything she does, I’ve never seen anyone put so much effort into anything,” said Kodia. “I also admire how she has been able to balance school, extracurriculars, family and friends.”

Whitney has decided to go to the University of California, Los Angeles next year. She decided on UCLA because she feels it will provide a well rounded experience with a balanced combination of both academics and social aspects

“I definitely want a well rounded experience with a mixture of the arts, school spirit and social life also mixed with academics. I think that the culture of UCLA really fosters that kind of balance,” said Whitney.

She plans to double major in biology and business economics. She decided on these majors because of her growing interest in the sciences and her plans to work in a science related business field.

Whitney is not exactly set on what she wants to do as a profession after college, but she hopes to possibly go into the pharmaceutical industry. Her main goal is to go into a field that combines both business and science.

“She arrived with a big smile, a positive attitude and a willingness to work through challenging material.”
-Kathleen Aylward

Whitney feels that her family has played a major role in her academic success. They have both supported her and been their for her in times when she felt pressure on herself to succeed.

“My family has been really amazing,” said Whitney. “My parents have been great about not pressuring me harder than I pressure myself and when I get too stressed out sometimes, they help calm me down.”

Math teacher Kathleen Aylward had Whitney during her junior year in Honors Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus and felt she consistantly excelled academically and constantly worked hard.

“I truly enjoyed her energy and enthusiasm she brought to class each day. She arrived with a big smile, a positive attitude and a willingness to work through challenging material,” said Aylward. “I enjoyed watching Kate mature both academically and personally into an individual enthusiastic about the challenges that await her in college.”