Luther crowned Apple Blossom Queen

Girl Scouts in the Apple Blossom Parade.

By Isabel Saad

It was a fine, pleasant Saturday morning to initiate the annual organized disruption of Westford’s usually quiet daily life. Many roads were closed and preparations made for the beginning of Westford’s 49th Kiwanis Apple Blossom Festival.

Small businesses, social activists, community organizations, and government services alike found their way into the parade that started off the Apple Blossom Festival. The parade began in the town common and then made its way to the Abbot School’s field.

The festival was run by Kiwanis International, a large organization that promotes community service, offers scholarships, and awards students for their roles as a leaders within their communities.

The celebration of the Apple Blossom Queen was held in the Abbot School gymnasium following the parade and speeches from President of the Massachusetts Senate Therese Murray, along with President of the Westford Kiwanis organization Donald Siriani.

Last year’s Apple Blossom Queen, Leah Detolla, proudly presented this year’s individual awards. Senior Alicia Luther was crowned Apple Blossom Queen, with seniors Renee Craig and Nairi Hovsepian 1st and 2nd runner-ups respectively. Nominations were based on character and contributions to the community.

Luther was overcome emotionally upon receiving the award and later expressed how she thought every event leading up to the ceremony had been enjoyable.

“It was always a party when we all got together,” said Luther.

During the presentation of the awards, the Westford Sportsmen’s Club was announced the winner of the Roudenbowl, the prize for best parade float.

After all the excitement from the crowning, the family-run carnival and its many stands provided a place to relax and have fun with family and friends. They also gave community and charitable organizations, such as Relay for Life, an opportunity to gain funding.

Though the Apple Blossom Festival is a small-scale event, most everyone in Westford is aware of it, even if they do not attend. Although well-known, it would not be possible without the people working behind the scenes.

“[The event] doesn’t happen without the volunteers,” said Murray.

[doptg id=”77″]