Previewing Spring Rec Ball

By John Devereaux
WABC Liason

For the first time ever, the Westford Youth Basketball Association will be having a Spring Rec Ball league. Games start tonight, Monday March 24. Here are this season’s preview power rankings. At this time, team’s are currently unnamed and consist of players from all high school grades.

1. Team 1 – The team shows great potential for this season. Senior Nicky Lynch will show his varsity skills along side with senior WYBA All Star point guard Nick Mariano. This team has the talent to potentially go on to be undefeated this year. They have great players and height will not be a disadvantage with them.

2. Team 6 – Led by senior Luke Moran, who played for the Westford Academy’s varsity team this past winter will be alongside two strong point guards in senior Kevin Roder and freshman Erik Bibbo. Team 6 will show that they can be a force in this league if everyone shows up. My prediction for this team is that they will be a squad that wins big, and could possibly knock out the number one ranked Team 1.

3. Team 8 – Senior Nick Mizzoni led his winter rec ball team and this could definitely happen again this spring. He has a better supporting cast this season as he can rely on Sophomore Devin Donovan who plays Junior Varsity for the school. Also on the team are  junior Eashan Jani and sharp shooters Sam McMillan, Jack Paragona, and Satish Bisa.

4. Team 14 – The Jacobsen brothers are here, and they can prove to the league that they are a force to recon with. The both of them are masters with the ball, and can score from any range on the court. To back them up they have big man senior Ryan Pocock, who may be unable to attend all games due to baseball. Without the All-Star big man they may lack the ability to rebound. This team will lose some games, but they will show that even without height they can still win.

5.Team 2 – Varsity captain Pat Deren will display his leadership abilities in the league. Alongside Pat is the sizable sophomore Austin Santana who played Junior Varsity for the school. The starting five for this team could be trouble  for the opposition, but their bench would need to step up if they want to have a good run in the playoffs.

6.Team 3- Senior All-Star Andrew Clark and Junior Brett Fitzgerald will lead their team to many wins. This team has a great point guard and center but the bench could slow them down at times. Senior Ethan Walshe who recently just won the Winter League championships with the Rockets will bring them some help on defense and Senior Dillion McGee will help put up points on offense. This team could win a game or two in the playoffs but don’t show championship potential.