Skiing speeds past competitors

Photo credits to Ann Antes

By Victoria Walker
Business Manager

The WA Boys’ Alpine Ski Team has had an impressive 2013-2014 season. As the regular races drew to a close last week, the team received their season ranking of first in the league, and were named DCL Champions.

The team was quite large this year, but full of talent. With 16 racers to fill 13 spots, the race roster was shuffled around each week to get everyone on the hill as much as possible, while still ensuring that the varsity racers had enough race times to qualify for State Championships.

Despite this week to week variation in the lineup, which also changed based on individual improvement, WA consistently excelled on the slope. Under the leadership of Coach Erik Ruhmann, the 2012 All-Scholastic Alpine Coach of the Year, and captains Alex Antes, senior, and James Larsen, junior, the team placed first out of eight schools at almost every race.

On Tuesday, February 11, the team completed the regular season with their last race, and senior night. Although they did not come in first that day, their previous record secured them the top spot in the league for the season, and a trip to States.

Although only the top 16 racers in the league qualifying for States, the WA team is sending an impressive lineup up of 6 boys and 3 girls. The lineup includes James Larsen (1st in the league), Ben Cassidy (5th), Colin Cressman (6th), Ben Antes (8th), Connor Freud (9th) and Devin Payne (14th). The qualifying girls include Katy Stokes (2nd), Natalie Bishop (4th) and Alexa Sullivan (8th).

“Great season, stoked for states, gonna do awesome. [The team’s] got a great line up,” said senior Andrew Salvo. “Paul [Khederian] bringing in the ski team spirit. Devin Payne sneaking in for states [to] bring it his all. James is gonna kill it. Ben, Collin, Connor, great lineup.”

After a strong season and a snowy week of vacation, the team will be attending the Alpine Skiing State Championships on Tuesday, February 24, at Wachusett Mountain Ski Area.