Benting captures moments

Katie Benting poses with her camera.

By Ellie Smith
Features Editor

Walking outside with camera in hand, Katie Benting searches to find the perfect location with just the right amount of light. As she angles the camera and focuses in on her subject, she works to capture the ideal shot with just the click of a button. When the picture develops, a clear motive and pristine technique are showcased as every detail is displayed in sharp focus.

“I like to take pictures of people, but I really like nature,” said Benting. “Not many people get to see how gorgeous it really is until you see a picture of a place you have never been before.”

A junior at Westford Academy this year, Benting became interested in photography during her freshman year when she took Photography I. After continuing on to take Photography II during her sophomore year, she now participates in AP art, focusing on photography.   She decided to take photography because she feels the concept of capturing a moment in time is incredible.

“I think it’s cool that you can freeze a moment and capture it,” said Benting. “I like everything about photography. I think it is really cool.”

During her photography class this year, her main project is to create a masterpiece of 12 cohesive photos. Benting hopes the pictures look like they belong in the same portfolio, and not like separate pictures.

For this project, she plans to concentrate on gods and goddesses, and she already has three of the photos finished.

Her friend, Shannon Day, feels that Benting has a passion for photography and strives to ensure that her work is perfect.

“She is very passionate about photography,” said Day. “She’s a perfectionist about the photos she takes and always wants to make them her best work.”

In addition to photography, Benting enjoys participating in dancing outside of school, mainly irish step.

She most enjoys her English class as she loves to read. This year, Benting has Kim Hart for English who she also had previously during her freshman year.

A picture that Benting has taken.

After high school, Benting plans to continue with photography, however more as a hobby rather than a career. She thinks she will possibly submit her work into contests, but she will not take pictures solely for the purpose of entering her photos into contests.

After college, she plans to work as a nurse practitioner, practicing cardiology.

Shannon Molloy, a friend of Benting, thinks of her not only as an outstanding photographer, but as an amazing and supportive friend.

“She’s an amazing photographer,” said Molloy. “She has really creative ideas, and she’s an even better friend. She is always supportive and positive.”