Antes anchors the Grey Ghost defense

By Kyle Auger
Sports Editor

On nearly every defensive play during Westford Academy football games, #40 Alex Antes, junior, is included as a tackler as well as a leader for the defensive unit.

Antes has been a standout his whole career, playing varsity football since freshman year and has been a started since his sophomore year.

“It was definitely overwhelming at first, but you get used to it,” said Antes.

He is now the anchor of the defense, knowing every play and what almost every player is supposed to be doing during each of those plays.

“I love football, it’s a competitive sport, it’s really fun to hit people.” said the junior linebacker.

Antes going in for the tackle

Antes is now in the big leagues but he is not intimated, and he can attribute that to one man in particular.

“Tony Vanaria, he is my boss and my football coach. Out of high school, colleges were looking at him so he’s been there before,”said Antes.

Vanaria is a local business owner who runs his own landscaping company where Antes works. He is also a member of the Westford Academy coaching staff.

Antes’ stats have matched his skills thus far. He recorded fifteen tackles against Malden Catholic, and he forced a fumble against Groton-Dunstable.

Throughout his three years he has garnered respect from all of his teammates on the varsity squad.

“He hits really hard and he has an expansive knowledge of the defense,” said junior Jake Martin, when asked about Antes’ best attributes.

Although his dominance has been impressive at this level, he is not sure if he wants to pursue it in the future.

“Not football [in college], it’s too tough on your body. I would like to play lacrosse though.” said Antes.

Lacrosse is another field in which he has been shining, playing varsity as an attack-man and one of the team’s offensive weapons. His position on two varsity squads shows his skill and versatility as a student athlete.

Even though he does not want to continue playing at the collegiate level, the football team is not complaining, as he will be the leader and star of the defense for the next two years.