Matt Warner is the new Mr. WA

Mr. WA and his escort Leah Chevalier

By Anastasha Echavarri
News Editor

On Friday, senior Matt Warner was crowned Mr. WA at the annual competition. Thirteen senior boys dressed up in tuxedos, showcased their many talents, and answered questions from the host that determined who was the most worthy to wear the crown. At the end of the night, Warner came in first place with Andrew Dunne as first runner up and John Bergin as second runner up.

The comptetion was held to raise money for the class of 2013 and was planned and organized by dean Betsy Murphy and health teacher Melanie Jozokos.

The seniors introduced themselves by entering the PAC dancing to the newest hit song “Gangnam Style” before jumping onstage. There, they started to dance just like Psy does in his music video.

The contestants then re-entered the stage with their escorts wearing their brand new tuxedos from Men’s Wearhouse, the sponsors of the event. Outfits ranged from classic James Bond-style tuxedos to bright white suits with key lime or pink undershirts to grey suits with bow ties.

Acts throughout the night ranged from a stand-up comedy acts by Pat O’Neil and Steve Capowski, an intense drum solo by Billy Hickey, an impersonation of dean Bob Ware by Ben Katz, a juggling act by Paul Tobin, a dance routine with Evan Monoxelos dressed as Napoleon Dynamite, and even a rendition of “Ave Maria” by Nate Tashjy.

Brandon Scammon invited principal Jim Antonelli onstage to pose for him as Scammon took out an easel and began to draw a portrait of Antonelli. While some found the drawing to look very much like Antonelli, others found it to be a less-than-flattering picture.

Alex Thompson explained the game “Chubby Bunny” to the audience, a game where a person has to eat as many marshmallows as possible while being able to say the phrase ‘chubby bunny’ at the same time. According to Thompson, the record number of marshmallows stuffed into one’s mouth was twenty-four but Thompson broke that by five marshmallows.

Danny Cerullo showcased his talent for rhythmic gymnastics by twirling around two ribbons while wearing a baggy shirt and sweat pants.

Suddenly, Cerullo removed his shirt and took out two more ribbons as the music changed to “I’m Too Sexy” while he sported a sleeveless t-shirt and walked up and down the stage with his four ribbons. Cerullo later took off his sweatpants to reveal a tutu underneath as the song changed to “Over the Rainbow”.

First runner up Dunne came out on stage planning to perform a duet with his little sister. Together, they danced to songs such as “Soul Sister” and “Call Me Maybe” and the performance ended with him picking her up in the air.

Second runner up Bergin played a rendition of “Some Nights” on his violin while encouraging the audience to sing along. Towards the end of his performace, Bergin took out a recorder out of his vest pocket and began to play that instead, stunning the audience with his spontaneity.

The winner of the contest, Warner played “Piano Man” on the piano while singing and playing the harmonica at the same time. The audience was wowed by his mastery of both piano and harmonica as well as his voice.

While some performances were full of talent, others were purely entertaining, it was clear that the thirteen seniors who tried for the title of Mr. WA all had something to bring to the table and that each act was unique.

Slideshow By Alok Ganguly