Exchange for the better

Many cultures represented by flags in the WA lobby

By Jenny Watts

Twenty-one students from the city of Zaragoza, Spain arrived at WA on Friday, October 5, 2012, and are to stay through the end of this week. Each Spaniard had been paired with a WA Spanish student, who they will live with for the duration of the exchange.

Host students, in grades ten through twelve, will accompany them through their classes on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week. Teachers have planned special classroom activities for the Spaniards, which consist of getting to know each others personalities, differences, and culture.

The exchange students had already begun to get to know their new American friends over the summer, and have been communicating with each other over Facebook or email for several months now.

Outside of school, the exchange students accompanied their hosts to a group picnic on Sunday, and a trip into Boston on Monday to tour Fenway Park and the USS Constitution. Students are also encouraged to do as much as possible outside of the pre-planned events, and to take their visitors to local places such as apple picking farms, pumpkin carving events, or the Lady Ghost football game.

Despite being nervous about the obvious language barrier, the transition from a large city to a suburban town, and whether or not everyone will get along, host teachers and students say they are ready and excited to welcome the exchange students into their homes.

According junior Ethan Walshe, “I love the idea. I think [the exchange] a great way to meet new people and experience a new language and culture.”

Many WA students speak of the desire to create lasting friendships through the exchange. Walshe says that he wants to stay in touch with his exchange student for many years to come.

In addition to making new friends, junior Mara Tynan said, “I hope to gain an appreciation and knowledge of the Spanish culture and language and I hope to help Pablo do that here as well.”

Spanish teacher Stephanie Devlin reflected on her past and present experiences with the exchange, “What impresses me the most is the enthusiasm. The families here in Westford are wonderful, they go out of their way to carpool and make arrangements… it is exhausting… It’s intense but I think it’s really worthwhile.”