Boys’ track falls to Newton-South

Lexie Brearley

Senior Shane O'Neal run the 600 meter run
The boys’ indoor track team suffered their second loss on Thursday, January 7, to Newton-South at Boston University Sports Arena. The score was 64-31.

In the 55 meter dash, Captain Max Elliott, senior, placed third, finishing the race with a time of 7.16 seconds. Brendan Sullivan, sophomore, and Captain Jung Park, senior, placed second and forth, respectively, with times of 8.52 seconds and 8.63 seconds.

In the sixth event, the 300 meter dash, senior and Captain John Wells took forth (40.19 seconds), and Captain Matt Newman, senior, placed fifth (42.47 seconds).

Senior Captain Adam Pickersgill took home first in the 600 meter run finishing with a time 1:29.75 minutes, placing sixth overall in the DCL. The tenth event of the night was the 1000 meter run, Senior Captain Shane O’Neal and sophomore Andre Lacroix ran this event grabbing fifth and third, respectively.

The boys’ one mile run finished with junior John Ryan placing second with a time of 4:37.51 minutes and placing third overall in the DCL. The two mile ended with junior Mike McGee running second, 10:44.15 minutes, also placing fifth overall that night. Then senior Captain Alex Inman captured forth with a time of 11:39.99 minutes.

The boys’ 400 meter relay placed forth overall but falling just short of finishing before Newton-South. They finished with a time of 3:46.63 minutes.

The field events started with high jump. Sullivan took home first, jumping 5-6.00 feet.

In long jump, Elliott took forth, jumping 18-07.00 feet. Junior Adonis Carrasco and O’Neal placed fifth and sixth, respectively, both jumping 17-10.00 feet.

Shot put concluded the field events with Westford Academy taking first, second, and third. Senior Captain Mike Townsend took first, throwing 44:04.50 feet. He threw the farthest of anyone in the DCL that night. Senior Pat Martell threw 39:09.50 feet; and junior Eric Meredith threw 39:09.00, placing third.

Head coach Phil Archambault, commented, “there were some great performances by runners on the team, but it was just not enough to win.”

He went on to say “the team is a young team, and although there are many seniors, last year we have exceptional athletes and for the current seniors coming in third was a good job because we had people locking first and second in. This year they have to win and they are still getting there.”

Martell thought that injuries played a big part in the score. “If we didn’t have so many injuries then the score could have been closer. John [Wells] just came from having mono and Joe [Calitri, senior Captain] is injured.”

The boys have their next meet Thursday January 21, vs Lowell at Lowell High School.