The Grass is Always Greener… Or is it?

By Sami Joubert

In the middle of 2011, Westford Academy intends to have completed the installation of a brand new, multi-purpose, synthetic turf field in place of the natural grass that is the football field’s current foundation. At the moment the football field at WA, as well as its facilities, are very outdated. Renovations coming in the near future will soon fix this problem.

The current condition of Alumni Stadium at Westford Academy is not very good. The white yardage lines keep fading, there are large patches of dirt where there should be more grass, and there is an abundant amount of litter on and around the field itself. Many objects can be found on the track and by the woods including apple cores, dirty coffee cups, empty Gatorade bottles, and used mouth guards. The fence surrounding the field is covered in rust and contains some bent and broken sections. The main stands also don’t have a wheelchair ramp. Much of the field is presently unkempt, run-down, and old-fashioned.

The conditions at other schools in the area that have turf fields are found to be much better. Artificial turf fields require less maintenance, which is one reason why Westford Academy aspires to have one of its own in a few years. The lines on a turf field do not fade. There are no inconsistencies in terms of coverage or level; every inch is smooth and reliable. Litter is easier to spot, and thus can be noticed & picked up more quickly. Also, turf fields typically appear much brighter and more colorful than any grass field could ever be. In fact, the turf is usually greener than natural grass itself.

Appearance isn’t the only reason that Westford Academy plans to replace the current grass with a synthetic turf field. An artificial turf field can bear the traffic of approximately five natural grass fields. Turf fields are environmentally friendly and conserve energy as well. They are also weather-resistant. The projected cost of the new field should be between $650,000 and $700,000, with a payback on the original investment in 10 to 15 years.

Furthermore, many of the schools that Westford Academy competes against in the DCL already have artificial turf fields. This is disadvantageous to WA because players used to practicing on the grass fields here have to adapt to playing on turf when visiting rival teams. Adding turf will put WA on a more level playing field with neighboring towns.

“Upgrading to synthetic fields at Westford Academy will help our teams to be better against other teams in the DCL that already use turf fields, such as Acton-Boxborough, Wayland, and Lincoln-Sudbury,” said Robert Conley, director of athletics.

Aside from the incoming synthetic field Westford Academy, part of the plan includes building two additional turf fields in Westford, both on Nutting Road. These fields will help provide accommodation for the 4,000 children and 400 adults that are a part of sports and recreation in Westford.