Wrestling Team: ready for the season

By Kate Spinosa

Westford Academy’s wrestling team is pumped for another great season this year. With last year’s record of 13-5. They have high hopes for the 2009-2010 season. Matt Tholander is the new coach for the team this year.

The wrestling season started November 30th, and for most members ends during February break. The first official meet took place December 12th away at Chelmsford. Depending on the last 3 tournaments, the team may place Sectionals, then go to States and Allstates, and then the lucky ones to New England.

Depending on a player’s weight they are put in a certain class. There are 14 weight classes. A player can switch classes by losing or gaining weight. Practice is held everyday and captains will be chosen in the beginning of the season.

During each match there are three periods lasting two minutes each. Wrestlers win by beating their opponent by 15 points, pinning them, or just by having the most points by the end of the match.

There are usually 14-17 meets in total. The toughest competitor according to team members is Chelmsford High School. Girls are also able to join wrestling though none have at WA.Team members look forward to a successful season because, as junior Mike Mizzoni says, “We work the hardest.”